|CONFERENCE OF PRESIDING OFFICERS
OF NATIONAL PARLIAMENTS
U.N. Headquarters, New York, 30 August - 1st September 2000
Organised by the Inter-Parliamentary Union
in cooperation with the United Nations
On the occasion of the United Nations Millennium Assembly, the Inter-Parliamentary Union is convening the Conference of Presiding Officers of National Parliaments with the objective of expressing the support of Parliaments for international cooperation and their commitment to providing a parliamentary dimension to the United Nations.
2. The Conference will open its deliberations in the General Assembly Hall at 3 p.m. on 30 August. It will meet for the remainder of that afternoon and all day on 31 August and 1 September from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
3. If necessary, the President of the Conference may decide, on the advice of the Steering Committee, to extend the debate on 31 August by an evening session.
2. The Presiding Officers of the Palestinian Legislative Council and the Palestinian National Council may attend the proceedings of the Conference as observers.
3. The Presidents of international parliamentary assemblies that are Associate Members of the Inter-Parliamentary Union, as well as those of official parliamentary assemblies and organisations that enjoy observer status at IPU Meetings, may attend the proceedings of the Conference as observers.
4. Representatives of programmes and agencies of the United Nations system featuring on a special list approved by the Council at its 165th session (October 1999) may attend the proceedings of the Conference as observers.
5. Permanent Representatives to the United Nations in New York may also attend the proceedings of the Conference as observers.
2. The President shall decide on all matters not covered by these Rules, after taking the advice of the Steering Committee if necessary.
3. The President shall be assisted by Vice-Presidents appointed on a regional basis from among the Presiding Officers by the Inter-Parliamentary Council at its 166th session.
2. This Committee, which shall be assisted by the Secretary General of the Union, shall take all appropriate measures to ensure the effective organisation and smooth functioning of the Conference proceedings, in conformity with these Rules.
(i) Presiding Officers of national parliaments, including the Presiding Officers of both Chambers in the case of bicameral parliaments;2. The Secretary-General of the United Nations is invited to address the Inaugural Ceremony of the Conference and the President of the United Nations General Assembly to speak at the Conference. The President may exceptionally invite other personalities to address the Conference, following consultation with the Steering Committee.
2. The President, on the advice of the Steering Committee, may authorise the inclusion in the records and subsequent publication of speeches that could not be delivered by a delegation present at the Conference.
2. The draft final Declaration elaborated by the Preparatory Committee shall be introduced to the Conference by the Committee's Rapporteur.
3. The Conference shall adopt the final Declaration by consensus.
2. The provisional agenda, the draft final Declaration and the draft Rules of the Conference shall be prepared and distributed in the six official languages of the United Nations. The list of Participants and the Daily Journal shall be prepared and distributed in English and French only, the two official working languages of the IPU.
3. Information documents that delegations may wish to have distributed shall be placed on tables set aside for this purpose at the entrance to the General Assembly Hall.
2. The Secretary General or his representative may be invited by the President to clarify an issue at any time during the debate.
|RETURN TO THE MAIN PAGE "CONFERENCE OF PRESIDING OFFICERS"|