|Parliament name (generic / translated)
|Kongreso / Congress
|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
|Senado / Senate
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Kapulungan Ng Mga Kinatawan / House of Representatives
|22 July 1985
Last amendment: 06/06/1997
|Mode of designation
|directly elected 24
|One national constituency; all Senators being elected at-large from the country as a whole.
At each election, 12 candidates who obtained the highest number of votes are declared elected.
No Senator may serve for more than two consecutive (six year) terms.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled through by elections.
Voting is not compulsory.
|- age: 18 years
- Philippine citizenship
- residence in the country for at least one year and in home constituency for at least six months immediately preceding election day
- disqualifications: insanity, adjudged incompetence, conviction for crime involving disloyalty to government or against national security
- age: 35 years
- Philippine citizenship by birth
- residence in the country for at least two years immediately preceding the poll
- ineligibility: bribery of voters or election officials, terrorist action, exceeding campaign expenses ceiling, prohibited financial dealings
|- any other office or employment in the Government, or any subdivision, agency, or instrumentality thereof, including government-owned or controlled corporations or their subsidiaries
- appointment to office created during Senator's term
|- candidatures by parties or independents, must be submitted to Commission on Elections at least 90 days before polling