|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Assemblée nationale / National Assembly
|Structure of parliament
||15 January 1995
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 83
||24 multi-member constituencies corresponding to the country's departments.
List system of proportional representation.
Each party list bears as many names of candidates as seats to be filled. Seats are allotted to the different lists on the basis of the so-called departmental (simple) quotient. Following this computation, remaining seats are allocated under the rule of the greatest remainder.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled by substitutes elected at the same time as titular members.
Voting is not compulsory.
||- age: 18 years
- Beninese citizenship
- full possession of civil and political rights
- disqualifications: conviction for crime, imprisonment of at least three months for certain offences, persons in contempt of court, undischarged bankruptcy
- age: 25 years
- Beninese citizenship by birth (or naturalized citizens if residence in the country for at least 10 years)
- residence in the country for at least one year
- ineligibility: electoral fraud, guardianship
||- non-elective public office
- military functions
- service to foreign States or international organizations
- members of the Government
- executives or representatives of businesses subsidized by public funds
||- submission of party or coalition lists at least 30 days prior to polling
- monetary deposit, reimbursed to lists in proportion to their winnings