||Parliament of the Co-operative Republic of Guyana
|Structure of parliament
||25 September 1964
Last amendment: 13.02.2001
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 65
||- 10 geographical constituencies accounting fro 25 seats
- one nation-wide constituency for 40 seats.
Closed party-list proportional representation system based on the Largest Remainder system using Hare quota.
Vacancies between general elections are filled by "next-in-line" candidate of the same party.
Voting is not compulsory.
||- age: 18 years
- Guyanese or British Commonwealth citizenship
- domicile and residence in Guyana for a period of at least one year
- disqualifications: insanity, conviction for election-connected offences, certain government contractors
||- qualified electors
- age: 18 years
- Guyanese citizenship
- ability to speak and read the English language with a degree of proficiency sufficient to take an active part in the proceedings of the Assembly
- ineligibilities: allegiance to a foreign State, death sentence, imprisonment exceeding six months, insanity, certain public officials, members of the armed and police forces, and certain government contractors
||- certain public officials
- members of armed or police forces
||- membership of a political party
- party list of candidates must be supported by not less than 200 electors
- a third of the candidates nominated must be women