|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Il Parlamento / Parliament
|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Camera dei Deputati / Chamber of Deputies
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Senato della Repubblica / Senate
||30 March 1957
Last amendment: 12 November 2017 (Law n.165, Rosatellum bis)
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 630
||- 232 members elected in single-member constituencies (including 1 constituency in Valle d'Aosta and 6 constituencies in Trentino Alto-Adige), using the majority system;
- 386 members elected in multi-member constituencies, using the proportional representation system;
- 12 members elected from multi-member constituencies abroad, using the proportional representation system.
- List Proportional Representation (List PR) system for 398 seats
- First-past-the-post system for 232 seats
The minimum thresholds for a seat in the Chamber of Deputies are:
- for a political party: 3% of total valid votes;
- for a coalition: 10% of total valid votes.
Seats which become vacant between general elections are filled by the "next-in-line" candidate of the same party list. By-elections are held in the case of majority seats.
Voting is not compulsory.
||- age: minimum 18 years old
- Italian citizenship
- disqualifications: criminal conviction, immoral character as defined by the law
||- qualified electors
- age: minimum 25 years old
- Italian citizenship
Candidates running in the Constituency for Italians Abroad must be both resident and qualified electors of that geographical group.
||- public posts (including the Constitutional Court judges and members of the National Council for Economic Affairs and Labour)
- executive of a State enterprise or State-assisted company
||- Candidates must be registered in their respective political party's list. No candidate may register in more than one district or constituency, with the exception of the head of the list (candidato capolista), who may register in a maximum of ten districts.
- Candidates on party lists must alternate according to gender. Candidates of the same gender may not make up more than 50% of all the candidates of a given political party in a constituency.
- No more than 60% of heads of the same party list within the same constituency may be of the same gender.