|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Majlis Al-Umma / National Assembly
|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Majlis Al-Nuwaab / House of Representatives
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Majlis Al-Aayan / Senate
||15 March 2016
Law No. 6 of 2016
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 115
||- 23 multimember districts (between 3 and 10 seats each) for 115 seats.
In addition, there are 15 seats reserved for women (one for each of the 12 governorates and one for each of the 3 Badia districts: North, Centre and South). They are selected from among the women candidates who did not win district seats.
List Proportional Representation (List PR) using an open list. All candidates run as members of electoral lists. Each list must comprise men and women candidates.
Each elector votes for a list as a whole, and then for one or more candidate(s) of his/her choice from within the same list.
Each list is awarded seats in the district in proportion to the number of votes that it won and in comparison to the total number of voters in that district.
Special provisions for the 15 reserved seats for women:
- For the governorate comprising only one district: the candidate who won the highest number of votes in comparison to the total number of voters is elected.
- For the governorates comprising more than one district: in each of the governorate's districts, the candidate who won the highest number of votes in comparison to the total number of voters in the district where she stood is identified; of those candidates identified, the one with the highest proportion of votes to voters in her district is elected.
Special requirements for candidates running for the 12 seats reserved for minorities:
- In case there are no reserved seats in the district in which they reside, candidates may register in one of the districts in the governorate in which they reside.
- In case there are no reserved seats in the governorate in which they reside, candidates may register in a district in another governorate.
- The candidate who receives the highest number of votes in the electoral district is elected.
- Vacancies to the 115 seats are filled by the next-in-line candidate of the same list.
- Vacancies to the reserved seats for minorities are filled by the candidate with the highest number of votes obtained in his/her district.
- Vacancies to the reserved seats for women are filled by the woman candidate that obtained the next-highest proportion of votes after the originally elected candidate.
In case it is not possible to fill the vacancy in accordance with the provisions above, by-elections will be held in the district concerned.
Voting is not compulsory.
||- Age: 18 years (90 days prior to polling day)
- Jordanian citizenship
- Ordinary residence in a constituency
- Disqualifications: Membership of the armed or security services; undischarged bankruptcy; mental illness; persons placed under guardianship by a court order; criminal conviction; allegiance to a foreign State
||- Qualified electors
- Age: 30 years old on polling day
- Jordanian citizenship for at least 10 years
-Government contractors working for an official public institution or company owned or controlled by the government, or working for certain other public institutions
- Certain relatives of the King
- Imprisonment exceeding one year for a non-political crime for which the perpetrator has not been pardoned
||- Ministers and employees of ministries, government departments and public institutions
- Employees of Arab, regional and international organizations
- The Mayor of Amman, members of the Amman Municipal Council and municipal employees of that Council
-Chairs, members and employees of governorate, municipal and local councils
Deputies may become ministers during their term as parliamentarians. However, ministers who wish to run for parliament must resign from their post 60 days before the polling day of a general election and 15 days before a by-election.
||- Non-reimbursable deposit of JD 500
- Candidates may run in only one district and one list