|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Asamblea General / General Assembly
|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Cámara de Representantes / House of Representatives
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Cámara de Senadores / Senate
||1 October 1925
Last amendment: 9.06.1999
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 99
||19 multi-member (at least 2 seats) constituencies corresponding to the country's departments.
Direct election, party-list proportional representation system using the simple quotient and highest average formula for remainders.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled by substitutes elected at the same time as the titular members.
Voting is compulsory, unjustified abstention being punishable by a fine.
||- age: 18 years
- Uruguayan citizenship
- presence in country on polling day
- disqualifications: mental illness, conviction for criminal offence
||- age: 25 years
- Uruguayan citizenship by birth or naturalization for at least 5 years
- full possession of civil rights
- prosecuting attorneys
- police officials
- directors of national companies
- members of the armed forces on active duty
||- lists of candidates must be sumitted by political parties to the national Electoral Court at least 20 days prior to the elections