|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Barlaman / Parliament
|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Al-Majlis Al-Chaabi Al-Watani / National People's Assembly
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Majlis al-Oumma / Council of the Nation
||2 March 1997
Last updated on 7 February 2012 (presidential decree)
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 462
||48 multi-member, corresponding to country's wilayas (administrative districts) with seats allotted according to population: one seat for every 80,000 inhabitants and one supplementary seat for every fraction of 40,000; no wilaya has less than four seats.
List proportional representation system using highest remainder formula.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled by the "next-in-line" candidate of the same list or through by-election, according to circumstances; no replacements in last year of Assembly's term.
Voting is not compulsory.
||- age: 18 years
- Algerian citizenship
- full possession of civil and political rights
- disqualifications: conviction for crime or offence entailing imprisonment and disfranchisement, undischarged bankruptcy, insanity, objectionable conduct during national liberation revolution
- age: 25 years
- Algerian citizenship by birth or possessed for at least 5 years
- fulfilment of military service or excused therefrom
- members of the armed forces
- officials of security forces
- accountants of wilaya public funds
- high-ranking wilaya officials
- membership of another people's assembly
||- nomination through party or independents' list, each list bearing as many names as seats to be filled plus three substitute candidates
- independents' list: needs backing of at least 400 registered electors of constituency concerned (for each seat to be filled)
- all lists must be submitted no later than 45 days before polling
Article 2 of the Organic Law sets the following minimum percentage of women on candidate lists according to the number of seats contested in each constituency.
- 20% for the constituencies with four seats;
- 30% for those with 5 or more seats;
- 35% for those with 14 or more seats;
- 40%: for those with 32 or more seats;
- 50%: for the constituencies aboard.