|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Congresso nacional / National Congress
|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Cámara dos Deputados / Chamber of Deputies
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Senado Federal / Federal Senate
||15 July 1965
Last amendment: 19/09/1995
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 513
||27 multi-member (8 to 70 seats, based on population) constituencies corresponding to the country's 26 states and the Federal District.
Party-list proportional system with seats allotted according to the simple quotient and highest average calculations. The seats won by each list are in turn awarded to the candidates on the basis of preferential votes cast by the electorate.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled by substitutes elected at the same time as titular members. If no substitute is available and there remain at least 15 months before the end of the term of the member concerned, by-elections are held.
Voting is compulsory, abstention being punishable by a fine.
||- age: 16 years (optional); 18 years (mandatory registration)
- Brazilian citizenship
- disqualifications: insanity, imprisonment, lack of full political rights, military personnel below the rank of sergeant
||- qualified electors
- age: 21 years
- Brazilian citizenship by birth
- full possession of political rights
- membership of recognized political party
- residence in the constituency where running
- ineligibility: illiteracy
||- certain high public and military positions
- certain posts in public or semi-public companies