|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Congresso nacional / National Congress
|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Senado Federal / Federal Senate
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Cámara dos Deputados / Chamber of Deputies
||15 July 1965
Last amendment: 25/05/1990
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 81
||27 multi-member (3 seats) constituencies corresponding to the country's 26 states and the Federal District.
Block vote. Each elector has as many votes as the number of candidates elected in each constituency. When two thirds of the seats are to be renewed, each elector votes for two candidates. When one third is to be renewed, each elector votes for one candidate.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled by substitutes elected at the same time as titular members. If no substitute is available and there remain at least 15 months before the end of the term of the member concerned, by elections are held.
Voting is compulsory, abstention being punishable by a fine.
||- age: 16 years (optional); 18 years (mandatory registration)
- Brazilian citizenship
- disqualifications: insanity, imprisonment, lack of full political rights, military personnel below the rank of sergeant
||- qualified electors
- age: 35 years
- Brazilian citizenship by birth
- full possession of political rights
- membership of recognized
- residence in the constituency where running
- ineligibility: illiteracy
||- certain high public and military positions
- certain posts in public or semi-public companies