|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Vouli Antiprosopon / House of Representatives
|Structure of parliament
||16 July 1979
Last amended: 16.01.2003
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 80
||6 multi-member constituencies (seats allotted in proportion to population)
Direct election with party-list proportional representation (open list) and preferential system
Voters first select the list of a single party (or coalition of parties or a single independent candidate) and then, within the list, can mark one preference for every four seats to be filled in their constituency.
In the case of constituencies having fewer than three seats, only one preference can be marked. Party leaders or other candidates heading coalitions do not require a preference mark to be elected.
Seats are distributed among lists within each constituency by dividing the total number of votes cast for each list by the electoral quota (the largest remainder method using Hare quota). The remaining seats are distributed among the parties or coalitions of parties that won at least one seat in any constituency pursuant to the first distribution or, for single parties, at least 1.8 per cent of all valid votes cast throughout the island (for coalitions of 2 or more parties, the applicable figures are 10 and 20 per cent, respectively). Notwithstanding the above, 3.6 per cent of the total number of votes cast are required for lists of single parties participating in the second distribution to be entitled to a second seat.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled by the unsuccessful candidates of the same party in the constituency concerned who received the highest number of preferential votes after the last successful candidate.
Voting is compulsory; unjustified failure to vote is punishable by a fine and/or imprisonment.
||- age: 18
- Cyprus citizenship, including naturalized citizens
- residence in the country for at least six months prior to the elections
- citizens overseas cannot vote
- disqualifications: insanity, imprisonment, disfranchisement by court decision
||- qualified electors
- age: 25
- Cyprus citizenship
- there is no residence requirement
- ineligibilities: conviction of an offence involving dishonesty or immorality, electoral offence
- member of a municipal council
- member of the armed or security forces
- public or municipal office
||- party lists or individual candidatures possible
- support of at least four registered electors, approved by the candidate
- deposit of 250 Cyprus pounds, reimbursed if the candidate obtains votes equalling at least 1/3 of the electoral quota