|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Asamblea Nacional / National Assembly
|Structure of parliament
||27 February 1998
Last updated on 6 February 2012
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 137
||- 116 single-member constituencies
- one nation-wide constituency (for 15 seats)
- 3 multi-member constituencies (two seats each) for members representing Ecuadorians abroad
First-past-the-post system for 116 members.
Proportional representation system for 15 members.
In addition, six members representing Ecuadorians living abroad are elected under the majority system using multi-member constituencies.
Voting is compulsory for Ecuadorians between 18 and 65 years old. Those who do not turn out to vote may be stripped of their civil rights. Voting is optional for illiterates and those who are between 16 and 18 years old or over 65.
||- Ecuadorian citizenship or, for foreign nationals, legal residence in Ecuador for at least five years
- Age: 16 or over
Disqualifications: insanity, conviction for fraud in the public sector or in connection with elections, drunkards, vagabonds and defrauders, tax evader
||- qualified electors
- age: 18 years
- Ecuadorian citizenship by birth
- full possession of civil rights
||- membership of armed or police forces on active duty
- government contractor
- membership of clergy
- legal representative of a foreign company
||- legally recognised political parties may nominate their candidates
- independent candidates can also submit their candidature (support of 1.5% of the electorate of the constituency concerned is required)