|Structure of parliament
||6 June 2014
Last amendment: 9 July 2015
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 568
||- 205 constituencies (comprising between one and four seats each) for 448 seats filled under the majority system
Four electoral constituencies for 120 members elected through lists:
- two 15-member constituencies
- two 45-member constituencies
- 448 seats are filled by the majority system (two-round system). The candidate winning a majority of the votes is declared elected. If necessary, a second round is held ten days after the first round.
- 120 seats are filled through Party Block Vote (PBV). The list obtaining the highest number of valid votes is entitled to fill all the seats in the constituency concerned.
Sshould no lists meet the above-mentioned requirements, run-off elections will be held.
Vacancies between general elections are filled within 60 days through by-elections for the members elected under the majority system, unless the House term is scheduled to end within six months. Vacancies for candidates elected through lists are filled based on the political agreement reached by the candidates on the list.
Voting is compulsory; failure to do so can result in a fine of 500 Egyptian pounds.
||- age: 18 years
- Egyptian citizenship (or naturalized for at least five years)
- disqualifications: Police and military officers, unrehabilitated persons convicted of a felony, persons whose property is under sequestration, persons who have been imprisoned for certain crimes, civil servants or employees of the public sector dismissed for dishonourable reasons (in the five years preceding the election), and persons placed under guardianship within five years of election
- suspension of rights: persons of unsound mind or undischarged bankrupts
||- qualified voters
- age: 25 years
- Egyptian citizenship (or naturalized for at least 10 years)
- descendant of an Egyptian father
- proficiency in reading and writing
- completion of/exemption from military service
- government and public sector posts/employees
- holders of posts in foreign companies
- membership of other assemblies or councils
||- In the two 15-member districts, each list must include at least three Christians, two workers or farmers, two young people (those between 25 and 35 years old at the moment of candidature), one disabled person, and one expatriate. In the two 45-member districts, each list must comprise three times that number for each category. Half of each list is reserved for women.