|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Antenimierampirenena / National Assembly
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Antenimierandoholona / Senate
||1 August 2012
Fundamental law no. 2012-016 on the first legislative elections of the IV Republic
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 151
||- 87 single-member constituencies
-32 multi-member constituencies (64 seats)
- majority system (first-past-the post) for 87seats (voting for a single candidate)
- party-list system with proportional representation in one round of voting using the highest averages method (no voting for candidates from different lists, preferential vote or partial list) for 64 seats.
Vacancies are filled within one month.
In cases where replacement is no longer possible, a partial election is held within four months. For vacancies arising less than 12 months before the expiry of term of the deputies, the seats are not filled.
Voting is not compulsory.
||- Age : 18 years on election day
- Malagasy citizenship
- Full civil and political rights
- Ineligibility: persons convicted for crimes or offences; persons deemed insane and committed to a facility
||- all qualified voters
- age: over 21 years on election day
- Malagasy nationality
- full civil and political rights
- resident in the Republic of Madagascar
- registered on a voters' list
- never convicted of a crime or offence, except for offences related to or associated with driving under the influence of alcohol or hit-and-run offences
- compliance with tax laws and must have paid all taxes due for the previous three years.
- wards of the court
- persons deemed ineligible by court order
- convicted persons whose sentence bars them indefinitely from appearing on the voters' list
- persons awarded a final conviction
- persons ineligible for 15 years: persons convicted for common law crimes or offences, for voter list fraud, voting offences or fraud involving breaches of election campaigning rules
||- persons holding elected public office and in any public employment, except for teaching.
- President of the Republic
- Members of the High Constitutional Court and Special Electoral Court
- Members of the Government
- The Ombudsman
- Members of the Independent National Electoral Commission for the Transition
||-All individuals having met the conditions may submit their candidatures
-Any party or political organization, coalition of political parties, legally constituted association, or grouping of independent persons may submit a candidate.