|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Drzavni Zbor / National Assembly
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Drzavni Svet / National Council
||10 September 1992
Last amendment: 29.09.2006
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 90
||- 8 electoral units each divided into 11 single-seat constituencies (88 seats in all)
- special constituencies for two members, respectively representing the Hungarian and Italian minorities
Proportional representation using the simple quotient and the preferential system with a threshold of a 4 per cent for 88 members (simple majority preferential vote for the two Deputies representing the Italian and Hungarian communities).
Regarding party lists, each sex must be represented by at least 35 per cent of the total number of candidates on the list (a temporary provision set a 25-per-cent quota applicable to both male and female candidates for the first elections held in 2008). Lists containing only three candidates must have at least one male and one female candidate.
Each voter votes for a party-list or an individual candidate with indication of his/her choice among the candidates. Seats are distributed on a proportional basis. Remaining seats are distributed at the national level using the d'Hondt method, with Deputies being selected from those lists which have the highest remainders.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled by the candidate who would have been elected by the same party had not the original candidate won. If no candidate can be identified in this manner or if a vacancy occurs within six months after the beginning of the term, a by-election is held. No by-election is held if the vacancy arises less than six months before the expiry of the term.
Voting is not compulsory.
||- age: 18 years
- Slovene citizenship
- disqualifications: mental disorder
||- members the National Council
||- nomination by political parties or individual voters
- support of 3 Deputies, support of members of the party plus 50 electors, or support of 100 electors (for lists of candidates submitted by political parties)
- support of 100 electors (of the same constituency) for lists submitted by individual electors
- support of 30 voters of the Hungarian or Italian communities (for the candidates standing for the 2 seats reserved for these communities)