|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Majlis al-Mustasharin / Chamber of Councillors
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Majlis Al-Nuwab / Chamber of Deputies
|APPOINTMENT AND TERM OF OFFICE
||President of the Chamber of Councillors
||Duration: 1 year, renewable by election
||- Elected by all members of the Chamber in plenary sitting at the beginning of each ordinary session (in October of each year)
||- Any councillor may present his/her candidature
- The President may renew his/her candidature for further terms of office
||- Secret ballot if there are several candidates and by show of hands if there is a single candidate
- Absolute majority in the first round; relative majority in second round; in case of a tie in the second round, the older candidate is elected.
|Procedures / results
||- Represents the Chamber at public authorities
- Represents the Chamber at international organizations
- In case of vacancy, the First Vice-President assumes the post.
||- The Chamber's Bureau is governed by its Standing Orders.
- It is composed of the President of the Chamber, two Vice-Presidents, the chairpersons of the seven standing committees and their seven rapporteurs. They are all elected for one year.
- It meets every two weeks.
- It assists the President in the organization and functioning of the Chamber.
|Organization of parliamentary business
||- Convenes sittings
- Draws up and makes changes to the agenda after consultation with the Bureau of the Chamber
- Organizes the debates and sets speaking times
- Appoints committees to examine bills
|Chairing of public sittings
||- Adjourns and ends sittings
- Enforces constitutional provisions and regulations
- Maintains discipline within the Chamber
- Draws up the list of speakers, gives the floor to and takes it from speakers
- Proceeds with voting and determines modalities thereof
- Verifies the quorum
- Authenticates instruments passed and minutes of sittings
- Interprets the Standing Orders and other rules governing the activities of the Chamber
||- Manages the administrative services of the Chamber
- Appoints the Secretary General
- Organizes the Chamber's services
|Speaking and voting rights, other functions