|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Asamblea General / General Assembly
|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Cámara de Senadores / Senate
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Cámara de Representantes / House of Representatives
||1 October 1925
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 30
||1 multi-member (30 seats) national-wide constituency.
Direct election, party-list proportional representation system based on the simple quotient.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled by substitutes elected at the same time as the titular members.
Voting is compulsory, unjustified abstention being punishable by a fine.
||- age: 18 years
- Uruguayan citizenship
- presence in country on polling day
- disqualifications: mental illness, conviction for criminal offence
||- age: 30 years
- Uruguayan citizenship by birth or naturalization for at least 7 years
- full possession of civil rights
- prosecuting attorneys
- police officials
- directors of national companies
- members of the armed forces on active duty
||- lists of candidates must be sumitted by political parties to the national Electoral Court at least 20 days prior to the elections.