|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Fono / Legislative Assembly
|Structure of parliament
||1 January 1963
Last amendment: 24 June 2013 (Constitution Amendment Act 2013)
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 49
||- 6 multi-member (2 seats) constituencies
- 35 single-member constituencies
- 1 multi-member (2 seats) constituency for part-and non-Samoans
Simple majority vote.
Each voter casts two votes in multi-member constituencies.
There is no threshold to win a seat.
The Constitution Amendment Act 2013 requires that women shall consist of a minimum of 10% of the 49-member Legislative Assembly (i.e., five). In the event that the number of women elected in the general election is less than five, unsuccessful candidate/s with the highest number of votes shall become additional member/s of the Legislative Assembly. The vacancy for the additional member shall be filled by the woman candidate who won the next highest number of votes in the 2016 general election.
Vacancies to other seats arising between general elections are filled through by-elections. However, in the event that a seat held by a woman member becomes vacant and a male candidate wins the by-election, the woman candidate with the highest number of votes (either in that by-election or the most recent general election) shall become an additional member.
Voting is not compulsory.
||- age: 21 years
- citizenship of Samoa
- physical presence in country on polling day
- disqualifications: insanity, undischarged bankruptcy, conviction for offence punishable by death or at least two years' imprisonment, corrupt practice
||- qualified electors
- age: 21 years
- traditional heads of families (matais)
- residence in country for at least 3 years prior to nomination day
- conviction for offence punishable by death or at least two years' imprisonment
- conviction for bribery and electoral offence
The disqualifications above are valid for four years thereafter.
- insanity/mental illness
||- civil servants
||- nomination by at least two registered electors of the constituency concerned at least 14 days prior to elections
- non-refundable monetary deposit equivalent to US$ 85