|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Barlaman / Parliament
|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Majlis al-Oumma / Council of the Nation
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Al-Majlis Al-Chaabi Al-Watani / National People's Assembly
||6 March 1997
|Mode of designation
||indirectly elected 96
||48 multi-member (2 seats) corresponding to country's wilayas (administrative districts).
Indirect election by simple majority vote by electoral college composed of members of local councils: each wilaya's people's assembly and communal people's assemblies; these altogether number 15,003.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled through by-elections.
Voting is compulsory.
||- members of each wilaya's people's assembly and communal people's assemblies
- age: 40 years
- Algerian citizenship by birth or possessed for at least 5 years
- fulfilment of military service or excused therefrom
- members of the armed forces
- officials of security forces
- accountants of wilaya public funds
- high-ranking wilaya officials
- membership of another people's assembly
||- candidatures must be submitted at least 15 days before polling