|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Chi Tshog / Parliament
|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Gyelyong Tshogde / National Council
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Tshogdu / National Assembly
||30 June 2007
Royal Decree of 30 June 2007
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 20
||20 single-member constituencies
Single-member plurality system ("first-past-the-post")
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled through by-elections.
Voting is not compulsory.
||- Bhutanese citizenship, including naturalized citizens
- Age: at least 18 years old on the day nomination papers are filed
- Residence in the constituency at least one year prior to election
Qualified voters who are on diplomatic assignments, working in Bhutanese Embassies, on special duty abroad, their spouses and dependants, civil servants, students and those serving in the armed forces, officials on election duty and voters specifically permitted by the Election Commission in consultation with the government can vote through postal ballots.
- Persons who are mentally unfit or specifically barred from voting under the laws of the country.
||- Qualified voters
- Bhutanese citizenship, including through naturalization
- Age: at least 25 years old at the time of registration
- Residence in the constituency concerned
- University degree
- Civil servants
- Holders of office of profit
- Persons who have an existing contract with the government which has not been fully performed in full
- Persons who have been dismissed or removed from the public service
- Members of political parties
- Persons who have solicited or resorted to any form of fund-raising from private individuals or agencies for campaigning in a parliamentary or local government election
- Persons found guilty of corrupt election-related practices
- Persons who have failed to give account of election expenses within the stipulated deadline and in the manner required by law and have no good reason or justification for failure to do so.
- Persons convicted for any criminal offence and sentenced to prison.
- Persons accused of a felony in a pending case of which the competent court has been seized and against whom charges have been brought (until such time as he/she is acquitted by the court)
- Persons in arrears of taxes or other dues to government (until full payment of tax arrears or other dues to government is made)
- Persons married to non-Bhutanese nationals (unless their spouse is granted Bhutanese citizenship)
||- Members of political parties
- Head of State
- Members of the other chamber
- Ministers of State
- Holders of public office
- Civil servants
- Executives and members of the Election Commission
- Chief of electoral staff
- Members of the armed forces
- Members of the police forces
*The incompatibilities cited above are valid during the term of office.
- Holders of temporary entry visas
- Undocumented immigrants
- Insanity/mental illness
||- Nomination of candidates by "Zomdus" (Block Council Meetings) 30 days prior to elections.
- Nominated candidates file their nomination papers with the National Election Commission.