|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Seimas / Parliament
|Structure of parliament
||25 October 1962
Last amendment: 27/06/1996
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 141
||- 71 single-member constituencies
- 1 multi-member (70 seats) nationwide constituency
- A candidate shall be considered elected in a single-member constituency, if not less than 40 percent of the registered voters of that constituency have participated in the elections, and the said candidate has received more than half the votes cast by the registered voters. If less than 40 percent of the registered voters of that constituency have participated in the elections, the candidate who has received the majority, but not less than one-fifth of the votes cast by all the registered voters of that constituency, shall be considered to have been elected.
- If more than two candidates have participated in the elections and none has been elected pursuant to above-mentioned procedure, a second poll is held after two weeks, in which the two candidates who have received the majority of votes shall participate In this case, the candidate who has received more votes, regardless of the number of voters, shall be considered to have been elected. In the event of a tie, the candidate who received more votes during the initial poll shall be declared elected. If both candidates received an equal amount of votes during the initial poll, lots are drawn to determine the winner.
- nationwide party-list proportional system, on the basis of the simple quotient and greatest remainders rules, with the country as a whole forming one constituency (for 70 seats). In order for the election to be valid, at least 25% of the electorate must have cast its vote.
- Vacancies arising between general elections are filled through by-elections (in the single-member constituencies) or by the "next-in-line" candidates of the same party (in the multi-member constituency).
Voting is not compulsory.
||- age: 18 years
- Lithuanian citizenship
- disqualifications: incapability declared by a court of law
- age: 25 years
- Lithuanian citizenship
- permanent residence in Lithuania
- ineligibility: past service of court-imposed sentence
||- membership of the armed forces, police and similar services
||- candidatures submitted by duly registered political parties, or individuals (in single-member constituencies) with the support of no less than 1,000 electors. A security deposit equal to one average monthly wage must be paid. This sum is reimbursed if the individual candidate wins.
- lists of not less than 25 candidates (in multi-member constituencies) submitted by duly registered political parties. A security deposit equal to 20 average monthly wages must be paid. This sum is reimbursed if the list becomes eligible for distribution of seats by having obtained at least 5% of the votes cast.